How can I disable the free download?
By default, your music is available for free downloads under Creative Commons license on the Jamendo Music platform (jamendo.com/start). If you prefer not to, you can disable this feature. This article shows you how to disable this.
You are still undecided about whether to give your music away for free or not? We discuss this question in this article here.
Note: On Jamendo Music, all tracks are available under Creative Commons licenses (CC). CC is an alternative to the classic copyright scheme. It provides a legal way to share music for free through the internet. In this sense, the music can be streamed for free and for many years, also be downloaded for free on Jamendo Music. It is quite recent that the option was added to block the free download.
How to disable the free download?
- In your artist account, visit the menu Sign up for Jamendo Licensing.
- Scroll down to the table with the name of your tracks.
- Check the box "Disable downloads on Jamendo Music". You can check the box for all tracks or only for separate tracks.
- Don't forget to "Submit and continue"
The watermark copies are still.... what does it mean?
The free download will be disabled for the Jamendo Music platform. However, there the Jamendo clients can still download the tracks on the Jamendo Licensing platform. This is possible in two scenarios:
- 1. scenario: In the Jamendo Catalog all tracks can be downloaded in mp3 format with a watermark on it. You can test the Download low-quality mp3 version (for testing purposes only). When you listen to it, every few seconds a voice says "jamendo.com". This version cannot be used for any projects. The clients use the watermarked tracks only to test and compare several tracks before they decide on one and purchase a license for that one. When they have bought a license, they can download the proper WAV and FLAC versions.
- 2. scenario: Jamendo In-Store clients who do not have an internet connection for streaming the music in their store, can download the playlists of the In-Store radios in mp3 format. They are, of course, only covered to play those downloaded tracks for the validity of their license. We invite every In-Store customer to delete all downloaded tracks every 6 months and then, download them again. This way they will be sure to be up-to-date and we are sure that your music is no longer played if you have removed it from Jamendo.